Protect the Ocean

The Biarritz Aquarium takes action to protect the environment and species

The Biarritz Aquarium is committed to protecting marine species. Indeed, it has a very strict policy with regards to stocking its aquariums and has chosen to work with companies that are able to supply animals which are either farm-reared or come from integrated fisheries.


Member of the CRISP (Coral Reef Initiatives for the Pacific) programme, the Aquarium is campaigning for the conservation of coral reef biodiversity.


Over the last few decades, 25% of coral reefs have been destroyed and the rest have, for the most part, been somewhat damaged. In the natural environment, 90% of the larva do not survive. We did not, therefore, want to take specimens from the remaining 10% of adult fish.


As far as the corals are concerned, a large number was obtained through our partnership with Honduras, famous for its caribbean coral barrier reef. This partnership provides for monitoring programmes to be set up and the sustainable development of species.


The scientific team at the Biarritz Aquarium gathers data on stranded marine mammals and transmits this data to the CRMMR (Marine Mammal Research Center in La Rochelle).


The Aquarium also participates in :


– research work on the reproduction of species presented in the aquarium, in association with other aquariums in France and Spain.
– research work, inventories and monitoring of species and biotopes, in association with the Université de Pau et des Pays de l’Adour, INRA, IFREMER and the Centre de la Mer côte basque.